June 21st is one of the best days of the year. Not only is it the first day of Summer, but it is also International Yoga Day! If you haven’t already decided that yoga is worth trying, today is the perfect day to reconsider. To celebrate, I have listed my top five reasons for loving yoga, along with a few of my favorite must-have items for any Yogi, novice or veteran. Namaste!
Five Reasons I Love Yoga
- It’s a huge de-stressor. Exercise is a great way to raise your endorphins and lower your stress levels, but yoga, in particular, is proven to reduce stress levels better than other forms of exercise.
- It improves posture. I carry a lot of my tension in my neck and end up slouching more than I would like. Yoga has helped me significantly with this. Focusing on alignment and strengthening my core has been vital.
- Increased flexibility. Few things are as good for your joints and muscles as being flexible. Being flexible helps keep you limber and feeling great all the way around.
- Total-body strength. I have lifted heavy weights in the past, but my individual muscles were stronger than my body as a whole. Even after years of lifting, I could never do pull-ups, and my functional strength wasn’t where it should be, given the amount of weight I could squat and bench press. I love that yoga makes my entire body work together.
- Helps me breath better. Yoga has taught me to take deeper, more efficient breaths.